RScheme

Ken Dickey kend@apple.com
Tue, 31 Mar 98 11:23:26 -0800

>>On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Fare Rideau wrote:
>
>> Dear Donovan,
>>    I'm interested in building an reflective operating system,
>> integrated within a high-level language, and featuring a persistent store.
>> * If not RScheme, which existing system would you advise to steal code from?

You might also want to check out the Sting work done at NEC
(Scheme48/KaliScheme).

http://www.neci.nj.nec.com:80/PLS/sting.html

>From the web page:
-----------------

Sting is an experimental operating system designed to serve as an
efficient customizable substrate for modern programming languages. The
base language used in our current implementation is Scheme, but Sting's
core ideas could be incorporated into any reasonable high-level language.
The ultimate goal in this project is to build a unified programming
environment for parallel and distributed computing. To this end, Sting
provides mechanisms
for

 * creating extremely lightweight first-class asynchronous threads of
control,
 * building customized scheduling, migration, and load-balancing
protocols,
 * specifying first-class virtual processors and virtual topologies,
 * supporting a range of execution strategies from fully eager to
completely lazy evaluation,
 * experimenting with diverse storage allocation policies, and
 * implementing persistent multiple address spaces, and other features of
a modern micro-kernel software
 * architecture such as non-blocking I/O, and user-level exception
handling.

Cheers,
-Ken