Retro update

Tom Novelli tcn@clarityconnect.com
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 10:14:19 -0400

There's a working Forth compiler now.  It has constants, variables, and
compilation (':').  More of the Forth "core" needs to be written, but now it
can be written in Forth ("bootstrapped"... that's what the file
kernel/bforth.fo is for).  There are still a few important things missing,
like conditionals and loops... and I should also write some documentation (I
didn't follow the stupid ANSI standard exactly).

So, who wants to program Tunes stuff in Forth, besides me?  How useful is
this?  Fare and I are also designing a Scheme/LISP interpreter, but that's
gonna take some time.

Anyway, we're moving on to high level stuff.  The only low-level things we
really need are multitasking, complete floppy and hard disk support, and
persistent storage.

Want to help out?  It needs testing.. if anything doesn't work, let me know.
If you're in a hurry, just grab the latest image from
http://bespin.cx/~tcn/retro/kernel and write it to a floppy (read the README
file if you don't know how to do this).

More information - http://bespin.cx/~tcn/retro.html

--