retro: serial & other problems

Paul Dufresne dufrp@oricom.ca
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 11:26:57 -0400

-there is a include of uvars.inc that does not seems to exist in pmode.inc

-now that I added your link on kbd_dv.map for keymap file, I am afraid
that the next time I'll commit to Retro, everyone will use Dvorak
(there a M before keymap when I do update command, need a way to
tell cvs to not commit this file)

-For now I need to do make clean ; make because boot.bin does not
depends on serial.asm. Do renaming my serial.asm to serial.inc would
fix it? I know I must do it correctly for cvs. I am not good at
understanding Makefile(s).

-hum, I think I did something wrong like wrapping init-com (now a
forth word) between pusha popa, please recall me what registers
I must take care not to modify, ebx? (oops I wrapped almost all my
forth words in serial.asm between push ebx and pop ebx, but they
seem to work! :-)). Is there any other registers I must not touch,
like esi?

-when serial.asm was a module (not included in pmode.asm), the code
at the beginning was executed automatically, now I have to run
init-com in forth before using the other serial related words

-about set-rx-handler and set-error-handler, they call stuff from
inside the uart interrupt, so it does not looks like a good idea
to call forth from there, so I'll keep them to call an assembler
routine (even in assembler, you must take care not doing much!).
For now I'll write my mouse driver in bforth.fo and later I will
translate it in assembler and use set-rx-handler to call the
assembler version of the mouse driver

-since that words.inc have already synonyms for ior to be inb,
and iow to be outb, I suggest that we use it in bforth.fo
I used these words only for debugging until now, let's make this
change as soon as possible, while it is easy.

-hum, to write some terminal stuff in Forth I'd need key?, and ideally
a way to read F1-F12, I think we don't have this in Forth yet.

-that's all, for now. :-)

Paul