MMU question

Basile STARYNKEVITCH Basile.Starynkevitch@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 18:14:39 +0100 (MET)

    >> A discussion on comp.lang.forth led me to wonder: Is virtual
    >> memory hardware unnecessary for TUNES?

    Francois-Rene> Unnecessary, yes. Useless, not necessarily.

I believe that the more general question is: what kind of hardware is
useful for TUNES.

I don't know exactly.. In principle, TUNES reflection could go down to
software (eg TUNES could be a robot driving a silicon wafer plant,
which builds clones of TUNES... [a classical sci fi subject]).

Realistically, at the current stage of TUNES (ie nearly nowhere) TUNES
should target the system its current developper (anyone here?) can
afford. This could be:

 x86 linux system (my choice)

 reprogammable FPGA (ie hardware/software reflective codesign)

 super dupper cluster

 the whole Internet (- eg a megacluster of millions of Netscape
 browsers)

etc.

My point is that we should (at least implicitly) define our base
system (As I said, I target an x86 linux system - See QISH on my
homepage)

--
Basile STARYNKEVITCH - 8 rue de la Faiencerie, 92340 BOURG LA REINE (France)
tel 01.46.65.45.53. email = basile point starynkevitch at wanadoo point fr