Where is the i386 boot code?

Francois-Rene Rideau Francois-Rene Rideau <fare@tunes.org>
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 02:08:42 +0200

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 10:10:51AM +0200, Peter Wiehe wrote:
> Where is the code downloadable of the i386 boot module?
If you mean the ancient i386 boot code I wrote, you can find it on FTP
in the 0.0.0.25 release. But apart from one or two hacks,
it's not worth much, frankly, except if you're interested in m4 macrology.
This thing got me disgusted with m4, and convinced that I wanted a real
high-level metaprogramming language, and not a misdesigned caricature of
a language hiding its lameness under the name "macroprocessor".

You might find much more complete and useful boot code and working drivers
in the retro2 and retro3 releases.
	http://retro.tunes.org/

The http://tunes.org/Review/OSes.html page isn't up-to-date, but there
are lots of code you can find there, and code you can find from the wealth
of Linux bootloaders that have flourished in the past two years.
(Contributions to the OSes page welcome.)

"I do not fear computers.  I fear the lack of them."
		-- Isaac Asimov