11.3 resource allocation

Chris Harris chharris@u.washington.edu
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 20:29:23 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 7 Dec 1994, Francois-Rene Rideau wrote:

> Err, I like OO (it depends what you call OO), but I dislike inheritance.
> I'd say that you combine existing objects to create new ones, more adapted to
> what you need.

Maybe I'm an object-freak or something, but I'd like to see some form of
inheritance, as it is really quite a powerful construct.  I'd propose to
go with a system like that of Self, where objects have all the info
needed to fully describe themselves, but they also have a pointer to a
(number of) delegate object(s).  Then when a message is recieved that
cannot be understood, it is simply forked off to the delegate object,
which in turn asks its deligate, etc..  This allows us to have
self-containing objects, but also allows for the creation of hiarchies,
which can be easier to manage, and have less redundent code.

Think I'd have enough to say for one day....  =)

-Chris