KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS..

Johan Van Schalkwyk jvs@iconz.co.nz
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 00:19:36 +1300 (NZDT)

KISS

Yes, it's me, back again. (JVS)

No, it's not that I'm _particularly_ glad to see you!

It's just that I'm distressed about all this speculation about word sizes.

Surely we should be asking "What is the correct size for a word in our
(ideal?) OS, not "How many different conventions should we support?" or
"Why not have a variety of word sizes from say 1 bit to 157 bits?"

???

In my opinion, the word size depends on the "granularity" of the (numbers
/ ideas / items / concepts) you are working with. For most applications,
32 bits is _MORE_ than enough. For playing around with weather
forecasting.. you almost certainly need 64 bit floats. I doubt that even
in future machines, for most common-or-garden tasks, you will _NEED_ more
than 32 bits. Someone with more knowledge, please tell me about 64(+) bits
and nonlinear complex/chaotic systems!

So,

let's cut the crap, and say:

Two word sizes:

1. 32 bits !

((2. For real floats, 64 bits))

Comments? Questions? Raspberries?

Later on, I'll give a few ideas about what to _do_ with the 32 bits!!!

JVS.

Keep it straight and simple!