A more generic portable binary encoding format

Mike Prince mprince@crl.com
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 17:24:24 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 14 Dec 1994, Johan Van Schalkwyk wrote:

> *** NOPE. I am trying to define a MINIMAL and SUFFICIENT set of
> **PRIMITIVES** to create a fast, efficient and general system. So, if you
> feel that I've left out anything, or included anything that is redundant,
> mention that specific thing, rather than resorting to generalities, which
> are irrelevant to the argument!!

> ** You gain everything by correct specification. But let us write the
> code, and then decide whether we are "over-specifying" or "appropriately
> specifying" rather than becoming emotional!

Let's put our code where our mouth is.  I'm repeating myself now, but I'm
writing code to demonstrate ideas.  I believe in many of Johans, as well
as many others comments that have been made over the last several
months.  We can bicker until 3am every night, or spend the same time
generating some code, and then suggest _improvements_ to that foundation code.

I am not above admitting Joe Schmoe has a better idea and completely
rewriting my code.  I would be far the better for having learned
something new!

See ya in code land!

Mike