LLL,DIS: object file format

Mike Prince mprince@crl.com
Mon, 31 Oct 1994 16:36:30 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 31 Oct 1994, Francois-Rene Rideau wrote:

>   We will have to choose some object file format.
>   Why not having *it* be the solution ?
Things can get confusing from here.  I've proposed not having files.  Let
me explain.  My first version of the microkernel wil use two disk
directories as in and out buffers to other workspaces (microkernels).
The in directory will have a number of files there, which will be treated
as incoming messages.  The kernel when it is activated will read each of
these "messages" in, and either crack it open into an agent or tool box
(kernel doing the dirty work), or pass it to a higher level module for
the cracking.  When you shut a kernel down, it simply bundles everything
up (in this case only tool boxes, because all the agents will be in them)
and puts them in the kernels IN directory.  That way when it is executed
again everything comes up just where it left off.

Now this is different than the view a programmer may have of objects that
are encapsulated within tool boxes.  We have two different perspectives
to consider; the low level kernel view of whats going on, and the
environment created by the language/programming system a person uses.

>   To me, an object file can contain any system *object*, and not
> only code.

All this also underlines the need for our glossary (of which I've taken
responsibility) and which is now becoming very needed.  By tomorrow it
will be ready for discussion.  (But isn't tomorrow always a day away).
OK. It will be done by the 1st of Novemeber.  Am I talking to myself?

Mike