TUNES random comments

Jecel Mattos de Assumpcao Jr. jecel@francine.lsi.usp.br
Sat, 5 Nov 1994 17:54:28 +0300

On Sat, 5 Nov 1994, Mike Prince <mprince@crl.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Nov 1994, Jecel Mattos de Assumpcao Jr. wrote:
>
> > - Organization
> > ... I wonder if everyone will still receive every message
> > from all of the subgroups or if there will be sublists of some
> > kind?
>
> The brute force way of doing sublists is to create a mailing list for
> every subgroup.  Then you could just subscribe/unsubscribe to those you
> wanted.  I have not set up a list server yet, would that be a hassle
> administrating many lists?  Also, the nice thing is that the list server
> at ens.fr keeps a log of all messages by month, which if we had many
> mailing lists would map very well into the monthly log files for each sub
> group.

The problem with this idea is that setting up a new project will require
the cooperation of the ens.fr system administrator. Is there some more
"lightweight" method to achieve this? I haven't seen how the Linux developer
list works, but it seems it is something like "linux#scsidriver@...." where
"scsidriver" would be one of the list's channels.

> > - Documentation
> >
> >   I have used AmiPro, PageMaker, Interleaf Publisher and Latex so
> > far to document my project, but have recently converted to HTML.
>
> This is something we should standardize on early.  Where is there a good
> on-line reference to HTML?

Lot's of stuff, but all of it in HTML...

try <a href="http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/Internet/WWW/HTMLPrimer.html">
Help on HTML</a> for a start.

> Let's all decide on the format of our documents soon.

One problem with the other formats I used before was how I was going to
read my docs within my own system after it was running. A HTML reader
can be written faster than a LaTeX or Postscript one.

Regards,
-- Jecel