discussion: goals: compatability?

Francois-Rene Rideau rideau@clipper
Mon, 14 Nov 94 23:14:33 MET

">" is Gary D. Duzan (Hi again, Gary !)
>    Here's a quick question: What do the members think of emulating
> existing operating system at the binary/source level? How much
> effort, if any, should be put into this goal?

To me, binary compatibility could be provided as a secondary effort
once we have a usable native system. I'd suggest Apple ][ emulation
as the first effort. It would be very funny to see Unix or DOS running
in a persistent system !!! But if our system is really good, there should
be no *need* to be compatible with anyone, except to run games or rival
commercial software. As for Unix, source-level compatibility is more easily
done, so binary compatibility is of limited interest.