Discussion: lazy evaluation of project goals

Mike Prince mprince@crl.com
Sat, 26 Nov 1994 12:16:42 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 25 Nov 1994, Francois-Rene Rideau wrote:

> That is, let's work, and not be stopped by this Goal thing.

There's a right way to do something, and there's the matter of getting it
done.

A little story;  There is a perpetual battle between my father and I.
When working on projects together (little ones) he wants to charge off
and try the first reasonable idea he has to accomplish his goal.  I, on
the other hand, want to find the best idea, and force him to wait until
we have evaluated the situation. The causes considerable tension, as he
doesn't understand why we can't "just get on with it?"

The same is occuring here.  Many who have had exposure to research before
understand the necessity of the first part of the "research method" which
is to investigate prior similar research.  That is the only "right" way
to do it.  On the other hand (as my father points out) many things would
never get done if we sat around and talked about it all day long.

As a group we must encourage the research method, as I fervently do.
Thus, our goals provide the basis for this preliminary research.

Individually though, we can start working on our ideas and share them
with the group.  I am also doing this.  But I do not want to distract the
group too much with my work, as I feel it would be detrimental to us
accomplishing our work in the "correct" way.

Mike

ggbgbggb