release 0.0.0.20 and thoughts

rdm@tad.micro.umn.edu rdm@tad.micro.umn.edu
Thu, 17 Aug 1995 08:59:45 -0400

Billy Tanksley:
.  Actually, the total amount of supervision is the same; the
.  difference is that by proving those things about the task the
.  system can ignore those aspects of the task during runtime.  You
.  lose a constant amount of time at startup, you gain a linear amout
.  of time during running.

There's two ways of looking at this.

(1) You can look at what is expected of code designed to run under
    this system.  If the system is really going to be able to run
    distributed, then there's going to be constraints on the code
    objects far more severe than those imposed by virtual memory --
    cooperative multi-tasking is a meaningless distinction when you're
    talking about code objects on different machines.

(2) You can talk in terms of how you're implementing multiple code
    objects on the same physical machine.  This is interesting, but
    it seems we're still at the stage of defining our interfaces, and
    that must take precedence.

--
Raul