HLL and misa...

Fri, 16 Jun 95 2:47:47 MET DST

> we are both what i call new generation programmers.  i started
> programming in BASIC when i was 8 years old and learned C, pascal,
> C++, Smalltalk, ... by the time i was 14. my friend frank, did kind of
> the same.  i am now 20 and he is 24 (i think).
   Well, I started early, too, but not that early !
My age increases every year; however, I was born late '73, so you can compute.

> we both prefer programming in CLOS and Common Lisp now over any of the
> other mainstream languages.  CLOS is far from ideal though.
   Have you tried object systems over Scheme ? Not so standard as CLOS,
but may be useful. Check some from my Language review page, others
from the Scheme repository (all that's accessible from following URL:
"http://acacia.ens.fr:8080/home/rideau/Tunes/Review/Languages.html").

> so, frank and i wrote up a proposal to obtain funding from a private
> source to develop a new programming language.  our $25000 request was
> fulfilled and to be used to by the nessecary "stuff" in order to
> research, develop, and implement the language.
   Wow ! I wish I could raise that much money ! How did you do ?

> we have acquired a few
> other people who work on and off on the project.  we have received a
> stipend to work on the project full time mid-july through september.
   Hey ! If you're looking for help and it can be used as a pre-thesis
training period, count me in !

> the language is fairly fair in the development phase with some initial
> prototypes in CLOS.  my stock description of the language is that it
> is a concise, consistent, simple, powerful, concurrent, cross of CLOS,
> smalltalk, and scheme.
   Could you expand a bit more ?

> we have adopted LISP syntax for the base language (aka misa-simple).
   Well, though I agree s-exps have advantages, and may be used at first,
I don't plan to do that in TUNES, because it kinda links too much the
semantics to a particular representation. The Dylan people chose not to
continue with s-exp anymore, and I think they're right...

> there are really a number of things which exist in misa which don't
> exist in other languages which we might consider obtaining patents for
> as we believe them to be extremely powerful.  i will go into some of
> these at a later date...
   Have you compared to what's currently in the TUNES HLL ?
It's on "http://acacia.ens.fr:8080/home/rideau/Tunes/HLL/HLL.html".
I'd be truely glad to have feedback from you !

> well - hopefully that is a sufficient taste of the language!
   Please send more !

-- Fare -- rideau@clipper.ens.fr -- Francois-Rene Rideau -- +)ang-Vu Ban --
		   TUNES is a Useful, Not Expedient System
WWW page at URL: "http://acacia.ens.fr:8080/home/rideau/Tunes/"