INT: Worlds and Generic Services

Francois-Rene Rideau rideau@clipper.ens.fr
Tue, 20 Jun 95 2:09:21 MET DST

  First off, I'll remind Chris that as a maintainer of the Interfaces
project, his role is to summarize relevant discussion in his WWW pages,
so we're not discussing in the air. [I'm backing you Chris; you know,
after a while, you'll get used to it, believe, me ;)]

[Bizarrely, I've not much to change to what Rainer said in his message]

> I was a little disappointed about the amount of feedback (none) to that
> little article of mine, you could at least have said "boahring
> ... *snooze*" or "who cares?".  For those who care, the URL is:
> "http://www.physik3.gwdg.de/~rainer/cs/ui.html"
   Well, did you announce that page here to begin with ? If you did sorry.
This page rings a bell, but except for the beginning to which I have nothing
to add, it deals too much with visual effects to me. I'm rather interested
in the semantics. I'm sorry I haven't a lot to say for or against it; I
don't think I would use your pretty interface, but I'd truely like it to
be *possible* to integrate it seamlessly to the rest of TUNES.

> Still, as I mentioned months before, the distiction between the
> Interfaces project and the rest of the Tunes project is unclear to me.  I
> propose we define the domain of the Interfaces project as:
>
> "The issues that pertain to the (virtually) perceived ("physical")
> properties of the objects that the user perceives when dealing with the
> system."
   Yes something like that (I wouldn't use the same words for that, but
the meaning would be roughly the same).

   So here are topics for the Interface project:
* building some automatic (but programmable) interface generators
for structures (that is, if I define a structure, automatically generate
the behavior of a structured editor for it). Let's take basic constructors
lists, vectors, meta-constructors.
* having those versions of these generators for text as well as graphic or
sound UIs
* build some user-friendly context-aware cacheing of last commands, etc.

-- Fare -- rideau@clipper.ens.fr -- Francois-Rene Rideau -- +)ang-Vu Ban --
		   TUNES is a Useful, Not Expedient System
WWW page at URL: "http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/rideau/Tunes/"