i386 subproject

Francois-Rene Rideau rideau@clipper.ens.fr
Tue, 20 Jun 95 8:32:10 MET DST

Dear Joyous Tunespeople,
   I know some of you (at least Dan and Sean) are i386 asm hackers.
Would any of you take the i386 subproject, and help finish implement it ?

   The goal is to produce
a) a small 32-bit protected mode FORTH core (the easy part)
b) add callbacks to real-mode to it, so we are able to call the BIOS.
c) prepare hooks for further protected-mode interrupt management.
which I consider would be the minimal "exokernel" and library on which
to write everything else.

   The constraints are to keep the programming style as high-level and
abstract as possible, so that
1) decisions like register layout, threading method, implementation
 of the dictionaries, memory allocation, garbage collection, etc, can
 be modified, tuned, added later.
2) Almost the same sources can be used to generate code for other assemblers
 on other machines [see what I have done already for sharing with C, the
 portable assembler].

   So, ain't anyone interested ? Ain't the goal and constraints clear enough ?

-- Fare -- rideau@clipper.ens.fr -- Francois-Rene Rideau -- +)ang-Vu Ban --
		   TUNES is a Useful, Not Expedient System
WWW page at URL: "http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/rideau/Tunes/"