ARGON

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel@lsi.usp.br
Sun, 15 Dec 1996 23:00:30 -0200

Francois-Rene Rideau wrote:

> > Dear Tunes People,
> >
> > If you wanna come eye the competition, I've recently updated my ARGON
> > page with the most recent incarnation of my plans. It's at
> > "http://www.abwillms.demon.co.uk/os/"...
> >
> I cheerly welcome competition (BTW, where are you, Jecel?).

I am still here, but I no longer contribute to the Tunes list
because everything I send there bounces back. In fact, I'll
bet that Alaric will receive this with no problems while
Fare's copy will timeout (I'll send it again "by hand" (telnet)
if it does).

About OS competition, the way I see things there is too
much redundant effort going on. Please see this neat OS
list -
http://www.lfbs.rwth-aachen.de/~sven/OS-Projects/index.html

This is to be expected as all the advanced systems are either
in the design phase or are some tiny assembler thing that only
boots and prints "hello world" from 386 protected mode. Minor
preference differences are enough to make another little group
or individual start their own OS project.

The situation from Unix clones was a little like this a few
years back. Now we have practically two choices: Linux and
FreeBSD. They are not necessarily better than others which
have disappeared, but the got to a point where they were
working enough that it was better for others to abandon
their own versions and contribute to one of these instead.

Something like this will happen in the OOOS area as well.
Once one of our systems is actually doing neat things then
others will prefer to try to implement their ideas on top
of it rather than doing everything themselves.

Of course, one Unix clone is pretty much like another while
there are significant differences in the systems we are
designing. So we might end up with four or five "real"
OS projects, instead of two. But I am pretty sure that most
of the list I meantioned will quickly fade away once the
first projects start working.

So good luck to us. We may be one day working together.

> I'd have lots of comments about ARGON,
> but no time to write a detailed criticism now;

I would also like to make some comments, but will have to
leave that for late next week, unfortunately.

--
-----=============( Jecel Mattos de Assumpcao Jr )===========-----
http://www.lsi.usp.br/~jecel/merlin.html | mailto:jecel@lsi.usp.br