LLL TODO list

Francois-Rene Rideau rideau@ens.fr
Thu, 25 Jan 1996 22:39:37 +0000 (GMT)

   Here is a TODO list that I'll publish on a regular basis.

* Current maintainer if any is in bracket like this [Fare].
* Volunteer to take some part by just mailing me.
* In case of disagreement, default is first come, first served.
* For interactive discussion if needed, IRC rendez-vous could be used.

LIST OF JOBS:

IN DECREASING PRIORITY:
* [Fare] organize a system interface for Scheme to manage
  the multi-file project
* [Fare] define coding standards for the Scheme cross-development
* convert development tools from m4 macros to Scheme functions
* define in Scheme an interface to 80x86 assembler
* either of
  * write the assembler in Scheme
  * write an interface to use as86
* convert available assembly code from m4 to Scheme
* either of
  * write a working interface to the BIOS
  * write terminal and disk I/O
* define an interface to the memory management system
* write a trivial memory manager (GC + persistency)
* write the LLL, keeping code generation modular so as
 to allow change of calling convention, peep-hole optimization, etc.
* write a Scheme interpreter over the LLL
* experiment HLL ideas
* achieve the OTOP by either
  * implementing the LLL (or the x86 CPU ?) over Scheme
  * writing a code generator to produce C instead of assembly,
    together with according run-time support.

NOTE: USEFUL SOURCES OF INSPIRATION (from the file src/LLL/i386/README)

* Various OS code from the Cygnus site ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/embedded/
 which is mirrored in the UK ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/gnu/cygnus/embedded/
* David Lindaer's OS kernel in ftp://ftp.std.com/pub/os-code/
* Various 32-bit i386 FORTH kernels from ftp://forth.org,
 notably OOF, FROTH, Win32Forth, Forth/2.
* Various DOS-extenders from
 ftp://x2ftp.oulu.fi/pub/msdos/programming/pmode/
* All the OSes from the OS Review page.
* Particularly, Linux, its sources and docs (the LKHG)
 about how traditional OSes do things.
* As for graphics programming when it eventually comes to this,
 besides stuff on the x2ftp site, we should contact Andreas Beck
 (becka@hp.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de), who's doing the GGI under Linux.
* Tell me whatever else you find...

-- Fare -- rideau@clipper.ens.fr -- Francois-Rene Rideau -- +)ang-Vu Ban --
		   TUNES is a Useful, Not Expedient System