Clipboards + Meaning

Maneesh Yadav 97yadavm@scar.utoronto.ca
Tue, 09 Dec 1997 16:11:38 -0500

Can you elaborate on storing the "meaning of the data"

you say that it can be done by:

David E. Manifold wrote:

> The storage of data by its meaning makes the data
> useful everywhere that understands the meaning, instead of anywhere that
> understands the form (format).  You probably would consider it ridiculous
> to argue that all the programs should support all the formats.  If the
> program can support the clipboard, it doesn't have to support all the
> formats.  Now, more formats available will make the program more able to
> interface with external programs (ones that can not communicate through
> the clipboard, such as remote systems), but within one system the
> clipboard eliminates a lot of work for the program, work for the
> programmer, and space in the exe (by not having to have all the formats).
> When you're in Tunes you won't need a clipboard because everything will be
> already stored by its meaning.  Also, external systems (other systems
> running Tunes) will be communicated with by meaning, so there will be no
> need for specific formats.  To understand how Tunes stores objects by
> meaning, you can reason by common sense how the clipboard stores meaning.
> It finds the common elements of all graphics.  The graphic size (rows and
> columns), the fact that it is stored in 2D (rows x columns) in a grid, the
> idea of a color palette (just a set of available colors), and the idea of
> color depth (the range of colors specified in an individual pixel within
> this graphic).  Tunes will operate like this for all objects, not just
> graphics.

But isn't this just defining another standard format (the promise of every new
format)?
WHat about efficiency of storage via compression?  HOw would it fit in to the
storage model.

For instance, let's say you want to use sound in you program, a standard
clipboard format (or meaning as you have implied) would be to store each
frequency and how long it is played for.  Taking up an insane amount of space,
but mpeg compression allows us to have full length songs with extremely high
compression ratios, how could we take advatage of this under the above
described?