Clipboards + Meaning

Jano John Akim Franke j.j.a.franke@t-online.de
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 23:47:43 +0100

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01BD05C6.024E6EC0

>Jano> This understanding should not be hardcoded, instead a form should be
found
>Jano> for storing this information that enables similar systems to
"understand"
>Jano> the meaning by providing as much information as needed to have a link
>Jano> between the information stored and the using system.
>
>So when you have a type of data you understand.  Say a picture.  You
>develop an API for manipulating pictures.  For each type of picture
>you develop a shared library implementing the picture API.  Then when
>you put the picture in the clipboard you put a pointer to the shared
>library that implements the picture API in the clipboard also.  Then
>anyone who can deal with pictures can deal with it.

But who defines wich API-functions will be used as standard or will you
allow the user to invoke them? What about automated invocation of these
functions then?

>Or more simply you make a system wide object system available.  Make
>lots of standard and semistandard object types.  Then you can
>communicate more clearly, by passing both the message/object, and how
>to understand the message (it's type).

Do you require passing the "type". If so, this would lead to eventually
incompatible parallel development of APIs with all its disadvantages,
wouldn't it?

I would prefer a more fuzzy thus open storage. So instead of passing an
explicit "type" to point to the "API" the latter (information) should
find/link to the message/object (information). So you can substitute or add
an "API" without restructuring the passing object to pass another "type".

Kun afablaj salutoj
Jano John Akim Franke
Franke & Wedegärtner GbR | fon:+49-511-391393; fax-g3:+49-511-391306
Jano John Akim Franke    | mailto:j.j.a.franke@infology.int.eu.org
Podbielskistr. 239       | http://home.t-online.de/home/j.j.a.franke/
DE-30655 Hannover        | >>> reinventing computing project <<<

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01BD05C6.024E6EC0
	filename="Jano John Akim Franke.vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
N:Franke;Jano John Akim