OO theory

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel@lsi.usp.br
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 11:11:27 -0300

Here is one of the best papers I have ever read about
object technology:

http://www.tiac.net/users/jsuth/papers/wegacm.pdf

You have to have Acrobat Reader 3.0 to be able to read
it (my poor xpdf isn't up to it, so I had to borrow my
mother's computer).

Peter Wegner explains why an OO theory has been so hard
to develop - objects can't be reduced to algorithms as
they are not equivalent to Turing machines. He also
dashes the hopes of proving the correctness of object
systems, which is the main idea behind Tunes!

Here is the abstract:

The paradigm shift from algorithms to interaction captures the
technology shift from mainframes to workstations and networks,
from number-crunching to embedded systems and graphical user
interfaces, and from procedure-oriented to object-based and
distributed programming. Interaction is shown to be more powerful
than rule-based algorithms for computer problem solving,
overturning the prevalent view that all computing is expressible
as algorithms. The radical notion that interactive systems are more
powerful problem-solving engines than algorithms is the basis for
a new paradigm for computing technology built around the unifying
concept of interaction.

--
-----=============( Jecel Mattos de Assumpcao Jr )===========-----
http://www.lsi.usp.br/~jecel/merlin.html | mailto:jecel@lsi.usp.br