New page about Virtual Machines

William Tanksley wtanksle@mailhost2.csusm.edu
Mon, 19 May 1997 11:05:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 19 May 1997, Fare Rideau wrote:

> Dear people on the LispVM, OS DeViLs, and Tunes mailing list.

No mortituri te salutamus...  :)

>    because I couldn't find any generic page on virtual machines,
> I've just created one under the Tunes Review subproject:

Thank you!  Everyone working on OS projects either owes a debt of
gratitude to Fare' or should.

>    http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/rideau/Tunes/Review/VMs.html

> It's currently almost empty, which is precisely why I'm hereby asking you
> to contribute text and pointers.

May I suggest the Juice format/VM, as described on
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~juice/?  Juice is a portable code structure which
could be said to store a dataflow tree as might be created by a powerful
compiler.  Source code is available.  It's made to work with Oberon, but
it's designed  to be mostly language-independant, except that the
language must have GC, runtime typing capability, and so on.  I'm VERY
impressed; it makes portable code verification and native code generation
almost EASY.

I think that this would be something for the LispOS people to consider;
however, I know almost nothing about LispOS, and the only page I could
find is almost totally empty :(.  It appeared to be using a broken
ActiveX control of some sort (WHAT!  Designing a real OS, and using a
broken one?!?).  ;-)

I'm on too many mailing lists as it is, but I suspect that I'd love to
know more about LispOS.  Emails are welcome.

> == Fare'

-Billy