Hello everyone..

Tom Novelli tcn@clarityconnect.com
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 09:19:05 -0500

It's about time I introduced myself. I've been checking out your project
for a few months, and I like what I see, so I decided to join.

I know Tunes isn't a functioning OS yet, and these things like FLUX,
OS Toolkit, SOLO, don't really seem to exist.
How about a nice practical approach to get Tunes going:

	Start with a simple Forth kernel, because it's easy to implement with
assembly language. Add DOS filesystem support. Possibly write an editor
and an assembler in Forth. Write a Scheme interpreter in Forth &
Assembly.
	Once we have a basic operating system and a few tools, we can start
experimenting with new languages, object/module systems, user
interfaces, networking, and so on. Some ideas that sounded good in
theory may not work so well, and new possibilities may present
themselves. After a while (assuming things work out) it'll all pull
together.

I've been playing with my own little Forth-based OS, but I haven't had
time for it lately (college intervenes). After my classes end next week,
I'm making some improvements... Then it'll run in real mode and
protected mode, under Linux and by itself. It should be a good starting
point for an OS.. you're all welcome to experiment with it.

I should mention a few ideas I had:
	A new language with the simplicity of Forth and LISP, preferably with
support for a variety of syntaxes, with a really simple module/object
system.
	A "smarter" GUI that's quick to use, without a mouse. Also, windows
should be avoided except when they're actually useful. I fail to see the
point in using 3/4 of the screen instead of the whole thing ;)
	Since Tunes will be modular, have a web form where you say what kind of
hardware you have, and it sends you a custom boot image containing only
what you need. I hate downloading 50 megs of Linux. (This is a long-term
thing, when there are hundreds of drivers and crap)
	Any comments?

--
Tom Novelli <tcn@clarityconnect.com>
http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages5/tcn