CD, music recognition software

David Manifold dem@pacificrim.net
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 18:01:25 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Lynn Cooley wrote:

> Hi --
>
> I did a net search for "music recognition software" and found this
> interesting draft of yours.  I don't have time to read it all now, but:
>
> 1. SQL databases can be extended by inserting new rows or (sometimes)
> columns, or adding new tables.  It's not a completely new concept, even if
> it's clumsy.

Researching existing systems turned up a lot of really interesting stuff.
I'm sure any individual system has a lot of nice features that people
want.  However, any individual, specialized system, whether it be OS,
language, or application, cannot meet our needs in the TUNES project, for
the following reason:

We need a unified system.  That means it has to be general purpose.  It
has to support all the features of every existing system.  (If two
features are incompatible, they still must be supported, but perhaps not
at the same time-- then you must be able to switch between them).

> 2. What i'm really trying to find is some good music recognition software.
> Do you possibly have any to recommend?

What is music recognition?  I've used MIDI programs that can record songs
from a MIDI keyboard.  Do you mean a way to generate sheet music from
digital recordings (like CD audio)?  I expect to be able to do in-depth
waveform analysis in TUNES, for music recognition as well as speech
recognition.  That's one example of why we need a fully interactive
development environment, for software of high complexity.

David Manifold <dem@pacificrim.net>