Yet another overly simple explanation of Tunes

David Manifold dem@tunes.org
Sun, 21 Jun 1998 20:34:46 +0000 (GMT)

When I read this, I wonder how it can make any sense to anybody.  Tell me
if it makes sense to you.  Anyway, it probably isn't anything new.

The entire system can be treated as one big expression.
In fact, this big expression could be written as a string.

Anything at all that can be done in the system comes down to an edit on
the expression.  (Including programming, word processing, internet, etc)

The expression is always being evaluated.   The reason it is always
evaluating is that each object has at least one element in its
specification, that of "existing".  So the existence of the system is
constantly evaluating, as long as the system exists.

Since the system is constantly evaluating, an edit on the expression will
cause changes to take place immediately.  Any changes that are not to take
place immediately (or subexpressions that are not to be evaluated yet)
will simply be specified to not evaluate yet.  The constraint to not
evaluate will still be constantly evaluated.  (Until it is changed, at
which time the expression it is referring to gets evaluated.)

I would appreciate comments on this.. I can't make any progress on the
system unless there is a discussion of my posts and the ideas get refined
so that they are understandable.  Thank you very much.

Won't someone ask how reflection works??  Does anybody have any questions
about the practicality of the above model?  Any specific questions about
"how do I do X in Tunes"?  What we need is some vehement anti-tunesers to
start flaming the list.  Maybe we should go trolling on the usenet...?

David Manifold <dem@tunes.org>