Microsoft

Dan Bethe dtm@hex.net
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 17:09:28 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Tril wrote:

> The idea of first-class source code is similar or equivalent to
> Microsoft's intentional programming.  Perhaps they do not realize this?
>
> How could Microsoft release a system that had all its source available?
>
> How likely is Microsoft to release a product that the user has full
> control over?

	I understand that you probably have background implications to
your questions, but here's my info for what it's worth.
	According to Microsoft, it'll be when, in their opinion, users
want it.  That's what they claim their business model is.  It leaves out
the handy concept of REALITY (in terms of what's practical), but it's
their happy theory that customers could not benefit from an open source
model and that they benefit from closed source.
	Another quote is "the idea that the customer knows what he wants
is wrong." -- some microsoft executive.  See the Boycott Microsoft pages
at http://www.vcnet.com/bms/ for more rhetoric.
	Of course Master Gates knows what is best for us.  Master Gates
could never do anything questionable, and even if he did, it could only be
for the good of all humanity.
	It takes two to play the game -- the shepherd and the sheep.

"We each pay a fabulous price for our visions of paradise,
    but a spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission."
        This email licensed under the GPL (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy).