What should I do about Arrow and Tunes?

Thomas M. Farrelly s720@eik.ii.uib.no
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:52:00 +0100

"RE01 Rice Brian T. EM2" wrote:

> I know that I've been leaving lots of people behind in the group, but I feel
> _driven_ to develop the system to its final outcome.  Now that someone has
> spoken about their frustrations with my efforts, I can't ignore this effect
> I've been having on the group any longer.  And, yes, I've noticed how the
> conversation has been worn thin.  Am I that terrible a member?
>
> Is there another OS-like project which has a membership which could help me
> better? I doubt it.  If someone understood the _entire_ Arrow system
> intuitively as I do, but could also use laymen's terms, a skill that I have
> (purposefully) forgotten, then I could focus on the Arrow development within
> a smaller, isolated group without disturbing the general Tunes group, and
> simultaneously assist in explaining Arrow as necessary.  However, I don't
> see that I will be able to support both efforts simultaneously.
>
> Perhaps I could instead drop out of the group and continue private
> conversations with the people who can understand it, since I seem to have
> lost relevance with the average member.  Socially, I seem to have moved away
> from the herd, and the change seems neither bad nor good.
>
> I do, however, have a clear understanding (I believe) of where the Arrow
> system is going and how it will eventually reach Tunes-bootstrapping
> capability and some level beyond that which I can't identify, something that
> the group doesn't seem to have done.  I don't mean to be arrogant, but I
> believe that I have ideas which Tunes can benefit from, and Tunes has
> members who can understand my goals.  Both are rare things for either side,
> and I'd like to make a better relationship for us both.
>
> Any suggestions? (the usual pointless begging)
> Would anyone help me?
> Does anyone GIVE A DAMN about what I have to say any longer?
>
> Please help me, because the agony of having these ideas without the ability
> to express them to everyone and see them become reality is going to drive me
> insane.  Can you imagine how terrible it would be if I died in the Persian
> gulf with no one to make these ideas real?  I have so much of my life
> invested in this that for all of it to go to waste would drive me to
> suicide.

( Yeah, let's get personal about the whole deal !)

Look, we're not actually making a computer system here. TUNES is a group
of people who emphasize the fact that "There is something wrong with
current software systems". TUNES also goes a step further by saying "It
could be better". But without warning - TUNES STOPS, missing the whole
fucking point : "How can it be better?" as in "what would the system
look like?", but instead goes shoking on variations of "TUNES should
have this and that feature".

Brian, you may think that once you get some part of your arrow system up
and running, you'll just post it to this group, and people say "Gee,
what a greate system, let's use it for tunes !!!". A few months back, I
posted an interpreter to a few members, including you, and there were
close to no replies - no discussion. This system, TML\TOOL, features
_total_reflection_ in the simplistic wrapping of true OO, with all the
shit and possiblilities so well required by TUNES, but still it got less
attention than you're parents at a stones concert. What is wrong with
people here? Are we, like, working on something or what?

Surely, some blame is left to me - I'm not good at communicating my
ideas - I know - I try. But when you get _real_ _working_ _software_ you
should be able to put you're brilliant minds to it, even if the
idealistic nature of tunes is somewhat shy of reallity.

--
 http://lstud.ii.uib.no/~s720   mailto:s720@ii.uib.no