My Current Policy and Progress on the Arrow Paper(s)

RE01 Rice Brian T. EM2 BRice@vinson.navy.mil
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 18:10:51 -0700

> Good,
> You may like to know that I am meeting with Dr. Joseph Gougeon soon, if
> you don't mind, I'd like to hear what he has to say about your arrow
> paper..would you mind if I brought it with me?

Well, just explain to him my stance on that paper release:

It is a draft, and an obsolete version at that. Currently, I am modularizing
the issues that the paper addresses and improving on that basic
modification. First, a few papers concerning the constructive ideas that I
presented there will be released. They will concern "reflective relativised
arrow logics / theory", "an abtract notion of computing ontology",
"model-level reflection: the full role of computational reflection", and
"information atomization" in that order.  These will address separate
notions that are presented almost concurrently in the paper that I have
publically released. My reason for not having posted these yet is that they
do not yet form a complete cycle of obsolescence for the original paper, in
that they so far only add information while separating text per subject
matter. I believe that release of the current versions of those papers would
only confuse those who would try to track the development of my ideas. Also,
my own efforts in explaining the terms due to changing definition texts
would help little. They will be released soon, however.

The next set of papers will form a dependent series. The first will explain
the application of the arrow construct and logics and theory to the notion
of information atomicity. The next paper will explain the porting of the
ontology concept from current software paradigms to the Arrow system,
discussing various means for modelling ontologies, as well as the logical
constructions used to specify them initially. Also, it will highlight the
novel properties of ontologies that result. A complete development system
will be described in this way which subsumes the usual notions of I/O
management, functional implementation, user-interface, and general-purpose
information retrieval that usual computing systems must address in an ad-hoc
manner. The paper will also elaborate upon the benefits of such a systematic
approach over the relatively lame methods of today. The following paper
addresses the overall characteristics of such a system, and could be used to
describe a commercial implementation's features, explaining why and how they
are useful. Of particular note will be software system unity and the various
effects it could have on overall utility for society.

The first set of core papers has (and will have) more mathematically
technical as well as laymen's terms to explain some very specific ideas, and
should be quite an improvement over the original in that respect. Their
purpose is to draw on all of my research efforts to prove the various
specific properties that I desire of those concepts, and what they mean to
the average programmer or user. The second set of papers will rely
technically only upon the first set, while drawing upon more
general-interest sources to help explain the direction of vision that I have
in mind. In that sense, they should be very readable by the average person,
and help make the system's concepts more accessible overall.

I have learned a great deal from discussions with the tunes members,
particularly in attempting to explain some terms which were originally
vague. My deepest regret is that the current paper will have to represent my
ideas for a time, since I believe that I can explain much better in person
(i.e. interactively). I also apologize to interested persons that I am
keeping this development "under wraps", so to speak.

I have no idea what interest Dr. Gougeon may or may not have in my ideas or
my style of writing. It is most probable that he will have the utmost
difficulty with my terms and style, since I am more than somewhat
self-educated in my ideas and research methods. I cannot fault him if he
finds the paper unworthy of publication, because it is indeed a rough draft.
If he does find the idea interesting, however, please forward this message
to him as well, to help explain in what direction I intend to take this
development

	Thank you,
		Brian Rice
		water@tscnet.com