Constructive criticism

Billy Tanksley btanksley@hifn.com
Mon, 31 May 1999 17:34:43 -0700

> From:	Jim Little [SMTP:jiml@inconnect.com]
> Subject:	Constructive criticism
>
> Maneesh,
>
> I understand where you're coming from, but I think your criticism may
> have passed the point of productivity.  As they say, actions speak
> louder than words.  Why don't you:

	[suggestions for activities deleted.]

	Good advice, Jim.  I had the same problem as Maneesh does; sometimes
it seems (to be blunt) as though most of Tunes is overinflated promises made
by undereducated people.  But the simple fact is that Tunes is still a
useful idea, even if everyone in it was incapable, at least due to its
magnificent review subproject.

	As for the people who are undereducated?  Well, there are two
classes of those.  People like me, who are learning by watching and
listening, and people who are learning by doing.  What they're doing may be
trivial, but they're learning just the same, and inasmuch as you don't
holler me off the list, you also shouldn't shoo them away.  Not only will
they become more useful to the list, but they just _might_ produce something
useful.  Even if Retro lacks the polish of the older kernels, it has one
advantage to us: there's one person on our list who understands it, through
and through.

> I know Brian is starved for feedback, as am I.  Why not use your
> critical thinking skills in constructive ways, and critique those who
> want it (Brian and myself, for starters).  Or just jump in and
> contribute ideas/plans that you think are necessary.  I think any of
> these options would have a positive impact on TUNES.

	I can't say that Maneesh is incorrect, though; and perhaps his
expressed opionion is useful, to keep us honest.  Let me restate: let's keep
our eyes on the goal.

	What IS the goal, anyhow?  I mean, for the TUNES project, as opposed
to the things we call the TUNES subprojects?  This question has been asked
before, and has never really been answered.

	Are we trying to build TUNES by brute-force?  You know, build all
possible computer programs until we write one that looks like TUNES, and
then declare victory?

> Jim

	-Billy