a small arrows prototype

RE01 Rice Brian T. EM2 BRice@vinson.navy.mil
Fri, 14 May 1999 04:15:50 -0700

[good reasons for choosing Squeak as a prototype platform.]
i agree.  however, i will also readily point out the limitations and
complications of the language, though they are slight.  i'll just say that
i'd rather have Self in the situation that Smalltalk enjoys.

> By the way, Rice, is your Squeak code available from the tunes site? Or
> could you email it to me. I'm doing some research with Squeak and
> reflection, so I'm interested in any  material in this direction.

not yet.  i expect to have a reasonable implementation with a graphical/text
editor and some quick example 'worlds' by saturday or so.

btw, has anyone heard of a method of representing infinite-size quantities
with objects?  in smalltalk, i attempted to create an empty "TransFinite"
class and create empty "Finite" and "Infinite" sub-classes respectively,
which is simple.  however, if i try to 'force' inheritance from Finite upon
the Magnitude class, then the system stack overflows (for obvious reasons).
does anyone know of a simple way to make this sort of thing happen?

(the goal is to represent higher-order infinities and compare them and
reason about them.  i have the feeling that such a system might easily help
out an ordinary system like Self, Smalltalk, Lisp, or Scheme in the ways of
reflection.)