Lies, damn lies!

Billy Tanksley btanksley@hifn.com
Thu, 27 May 1999 12:31:51 -0700

The universal Turing machine accepts as its input a description of another
Turing machine and a program, remember?  Thus, in order to be universal, a
computing system has to be able to read and possibly modify the description
of an arbitrary computing system (including itself).

I hate Outlook.

Anyhow, You mentioned that Forth was the only standard universal language by
this definition.  In spite of my preference for Forth, I disagree -- Scheme,
Lisp, and Python can read arbitrary code in their own language and modify
it.  They don't have access to their own source code in the same way a Forth
program does, but that's not mentioned in the definition of a universal
Turing machine.

Rebol (www.rebol.com) has full Forth-style access to its source, and it's a
syntactic language.  I'm very impressed with it.  In fact, I was thinking
that it might be tons of fun to write a Lojban module for it.  Check it out
and think about it.

-Billy