Where Tunes is going.

Laurent Martelli martelli@iie.cnam.fr
22 Oct 1999 03:17:56 +0200

  Brian> If you want to support Tunes, you have to give up the
  Brian> language idea, and that's why I am working on Arrow.

I agree with this statement. And that's why I'm working on interp-c,
which is being renamed to OIL (Open Implementation Language).

  Brian> So where is Tunes going?  Arrow is Tunes.  Any who disagree
  Brian> are those who read my words (as codes) and mistake my
  Brian> explanations for the idea.  Many of you believe that we must
  Brian> have an OS to boot Tunes from in order to have Tunes.  I
  Brian> agree on the fact that Tunes must make an OS framework (a la
  Brian> OSKit) in order to extend its usefulness, but requiring an OS
  Brian> to be on hand before we build Tunes is absurd!  If the
  Brian> OS-code is not available as Tunes objects, then it's not
  Brian> useful, and therefore not Tunes.

I'm not sure to understand you, but as far as I'm concerned, it is out
of the question for me to develop device drivers or such lowlevel
things. That's why I am implementing the bootstrap interpretor of OIL
on top of Unix with C/C++

        [...]

  Brian> Here is the line.  Either cross it, and move on with Tunes
  Brian> into history, or detract from it as you have been wont to do.
  Brian> I will accept nothing else.  I want Tunes, and I want it more
  Brian> badly than Fare or Tril or any of you do by any stretch of
  Brian> the imagination.  Deal with it.

I want Tunes very very badly too. In a few weeks I'll be starting up a
company with a friend, and we intend to provide support and services
for Tunes. (We don't actually call it Tunes, but the ideas are the
same I think). I am working on a prototype which you can download at
http://laurent.penguinpowered.com/~laurent/oip.html. I'd be very glad
to work with you on Arrow if I knew that we have the same goals. But I
still don't know what is Arrow all about. So if you have a working
implementation, or a few _real world examples_ to show me, I'll have a
look at it and see if my OIL is equivalent to your ARROW.

--
Laurent Martelli
martelli@iie.cnam.fr