Where Tunes is going.

btanksley@hifn.com btanksley@hifn.com
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 20:41:41 -0700

> From: Brian Rice [mailto:water@tscnet.com]
> Subject: Re: Where Tunes is going.

> At 10:21 AM 10/26/99 -0400, shapj@us.ibm.com wrote:

> existence.  I furthermore believe that the lack of response
> to my e-mails
> indicates that you are not taking my suggestions seriously at
> all.  The

Or we're sceptical.  I don't think my scepticism reflects ill on you or me,
but I find it hard to believe that you're doing anything as new as you
claim, when your descriptions of your work sound just like other people's
descriptions of their formalisms.

I don't find it hard to believe that you're doing something worthwhile; if
it were possible for me to get excited about Tunes again, I'd likely be
excited.  You are at least attempting to lead Tunes, even if you're not
exactly inspiring.

> It's not my fault that I am so frustrated.

Hmm.  Bad start to that sentence.

> I have appealed to many
> different groups and professors for feedback on my ideas, and
> have turned up nothing.

Not quite -- we've each put some energy into reviewing them, myself less
than some others (sorry; my loss; I just have to get through school and
survive work).  Your ideas take a lot of energy to understand, and the way
you describe them makes them sound like yet another formalism.  There have
been a LOT of formalisms in the past; a pretty UI isn't going to make
another one any different.

> all know that such standards were dropped long ago as important Tunes
> issues were discussed for a time and then dropped without any sort of
> formal resolution.  When I started noticing problems like that with
> frequent regularity, I realized that Tunes has not progressed
> for quite a
> while in any helpful way.

> Hoping that we will change this situation,

I have to admit that I admired your recent post on that subject.  If
chutzpah can turn us around, you're our man (and I don't see anything
better).  I'm not going to leave, and perhaps in a quarter I'll be able to
contribute (at last free!).

> 	-Brian

-Billy