microkernels

Beholder beholder@bespin.dhs.org
Tue, 07 Sep 1999 00:33:48 -0400

Francois-Rene Rideau wrote:

> I do agree that the most important point is to have the right primitives;
> and that's perhaps what I'd like a no-kernel to be about:
> focus the design attention on the semantics of primitives,
> rather than on particular implementation mechanisms,
> that should be hardware-dependent
> (which is I think a positive contribution of exo/nano-kernel approaches,
> independently from their kernelful aspect).

What primitives do you suggest?  If you have an answer, I think it brings you one
step closer to implementing Tunes, rather than discussing the trivialities of
kernel design.  If Tunes is to be a true Meta-Language system, wouldn't it be
possible to have either type of kernel?  Would the kernel even matter?