Uniform driver interface

Tom Novelli tcn@clarityconnect.com
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 14:46:36 -0400 (EDT)

I've been meaning to look at UDI (http://www.projectudi.org) ever since
someone mentioned it on this last a week or two ago.  Well, I finally
looked at it, and I'm disappointed.  It's just an industry consortium that
wants a way to share *binary* drivers across different operating systems.
Apparently these folks are still paranoid... they have nothing to lose
(and market share to gain) by releasing interface specs and driver source
code.  I think UDI will only be slightly helpful.

Some of us free OS developers should get together and design a better way
to share drivers.  We have a much wider variety than the mostly-unix UDI
group, so we need more flexibility.

I'd also like to see an archive of interface specs and various
implementations, source and binary.

Tom Novelli