ask not what your object can do for you

Kyle Lahnakoski kyle@arcavia.com
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 20:00:55 -0400

If I get this right, Jecel says that adding attributes, to 4 in our
example, is done for optimization purposes.  This optimization can be
either in the form of reduced execution time or reduced syntactic
complexity.  Those are certainly valid reasons, as long as we remember
why we are doing this design change.

I would suspect Tunes should eventually solve both these issues.  It
should also  keep the "correct" representation available for inspection
by beginners who may not know the attributes exist for optimization
only.  Increased execution speed should come from the dynamic reflective
compilers.  Shorter syntactic sequences should be handled as syntactic
shortcuts in the language.

I come from database theory, for this reason I see this issue of
attribute placement as an OO form of normalization.

http://www.bus.orst.edu/faculty/brownc/LECTURES/DB_TUTOR/Normal_Forms.htm

Here it is assumed the normal form is the logically right representation
for data.  It assumes that attribute duplication is a bad thing: a
purely normalized database can handle single attribute changes and still
be consistent.  Of course, put to practice, results in slow database
access.

I suggest an axiom be developed that covers this concept of attribute
placement.  Here is my first suggestion:

	Consider a method of an object.  If, for each set of parameter
	values, the method returns the same value for the lifetime of
	the object then we call this a predictable method.  If the
	method for every object in a class is predictable, but still
	depends on the identity of the object, then that method should
	exist, in one form or other, in the class.

Applying this axiom: the successor of 4 will always be the same,
therefore successor() should belong to the Integer_Class.  Similarly for
add().

Verifying if add() belongs to the Integer_Class forces us to notice that
add(int x, int y) is purely functional, and our axiom suggests keeping
the method where it is.

Thanks

btanksley@hifn.com wrote:

> An excellent message; I understand your point far better now.  Thanks.
>
> From: Jecel Assumpcao Jr [mailto:jecel@tunes.org]
> >> I would ask Geology about that.  The rocks might have a tiny
> >> bit of info
> >> about that, but the surrounding conditions are FAR more
> >> important.  (Are the rocks in a subduction zone?)
>
> >   rock asSandIn: environment
>
> A valid design.  Also interesting would be:
>
>    [environment age] until [rock isSand]
>    environment reduceToSand: rock
>    geology getSandFormOf: rock
>    geology getSandFormOf: rock in: environment
>
> Pardon the pidgin Smalltalk ;-).
>
> The last three are the 'functional' versions, of course.  Your version (and
> my version which dispatches from 'environment') are also functional, and
> have the advantage of requiring less typing; OTOH, they have some (obvious)
> disadvantages.
>
> >> _Integers_ have behavior.  4 alone doesn't.
>
> >Right. And Screen has behavior, but a pixel doesn't. This is the well
> >known "fly-weight objects" design pattern. I use it for the most
> >commonly used numbers to get a better performance, but I don't use it
> >for all numbers.
>
> That's a good point of view -- I actually wasn't thinking of flyweights when
> I said that.  I was thinking more of methematical models.
>
> >Let's move to a simpler example: booleans. Here there are only two -
> >true and false (until we get to fuzzy logic...). Should an imaginary
> >_Booleans_ hold their behavior (most languages) or should the objects
> >themselves have behavior (Self)? Both styles have advantages.
>
> ...good point.  Mathematical model or not, the important thing for us is how
> well it works in practice.
>
> >> Check it out (the best starting point I know
> >> of is at http://www.aspectj.com, although some of the best
> >> papers on the subject are not at that site).
>
> >Thanks. It had been a long time since I had looked at the Xerox cite
> >(see the links section of AspectJ).
>
> Yup.  AspectJ is actually the same people (or at least the same group).  I
> like some of the papers at the Xerox site better, though -- and I don't
> quite trust AspectJ yet.
>
> >> It's also how things are done at the _highest_ level,
> >> theGroupToWhichTheseThingsBelong add: 5 to: 7
> >> --> 1
>
> >> (Ahah, the group was the integers modulo 11.)
>
> >I don't understand how this works: where is the information about the
> >group to which the two numbers belong stored?
>
> Looks like it's in the variable 'theGroupToWhichTheseThingsBelong'.
>
> >> Why would you deliberately use an abstraction which matches
> >> neither the abstract nor the concrete behavior?
>
> >It matches my model of how things work.
>
> Add one phrase to that, and it's sufficient: "...and my model makes my code
> easy enough to write and extend."

> >> Squeak does that too -- get the MathDD goodie.
>
> >Well, double dispatching is an awkward simulation of multiple
> >dispatching. When you find yourself using it, you have stumbled across
> [...]

Kyle Lahnakoski                                  Arcavia Software Ltd.
(416) 892-7784                                 http://www.arcavia.com