Lambda (was: Refactoring in Tunes)

James Little jiml@inconnect.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:24:26 -700

Massimo Dentico wrote:

>Another excerpt from "Thoughtful Programming"
>- http://www.ultratechnology.com/forth.htm
[...]
> Chuck wants to make the computer simple and easily comprehended so
> that no extra layers of abstraction are needed to get at it or the
> problem.  Chuck wants to make the solution simple so that  it easy
> to write  and efficient  and has  no extra layers of unneeded fat.
> Chuck  seeks a simple efficient abstraction  of the actual problem
> to the actual computer.

The problem I have with this approach is that real-world problems lie
in entirely different domains than that of the computer.  For
example, I'm currently wrapping up a project whose problem statement
could have looked like this:

"We need a way to store and access information about companies and
contacts.  We need to be able to create "projects" involving these
companies and keep a communication log and to-do lists involving
these projects.  Furthermore, we need the information to be
centralized and accessible over the Internet.  And we want to be
able to access the data from other people's computers, so it the
method of access can't require any special setup other than an Internet
connection.  Oh, and the solution needs to be easy to use and
understand, and reasonably speedy on a Pentium 100.

This is a classic "line of business" problem, the kind upon
which the vast majority of America's programmers work.  (Presumably
the same is true for the rest of the world, too.)  Computers, on
the other hand, do arithmetic, flow control, and bitwise I/O.
I don't see any simple abstraction of those concepts to the concepts
involved in the problem statement above.

> If they could  see beyond the illusion  to see only the
> simple  problem  and were only faced  with mapping it  to a simple
> computer things stay simple and simple methods work.

I don't deny that the computer is simple.  It does arithmetic, flow
control, and bitwise I/O.  But the problems are NOT simple.  And
that's why abstractions are so crucial.  If I had to think about
the simple computer's simple manipulation of bytes every time for
every single kind of database query I send over the Internet, the
proliferation of simple things would grow so huge it would overwhelm me.

No, give me abstractions, lots of them, so I can choose the ones
that most closely relate to the problem I'm solving.  When I want
to do arithmetic, then I'll consider giving them up.  But my
customers don't want to do arithmetic.  (They've got calculators for
that.)  They want to do things that don't relate to the computer at all.

Jim