Lambda (was: Refactoring in Tunes)

Laurent Martelli martelli@iie.cnam.fr
20 Jan 2000 19:34:28 +0100

[...]

  >> In oher words, your system is correct, and mine is broken just
  >> because if different from yours ? :-)

  billy> Yes.  Just as broken as if it didn't understand the
  billy> annotation which says "the following name is the title of a
  billy> new definition."  Just as broken as a C system would be if it
  billy> didn't understand the keyword 'int' when used in the
  billy> declaration of a parameter.

But our system is not designed yet, so we can decide what we want to
put in it.

  billy> ML functions have one and only one type.  However, ML's infix
  billy> operators are overloaded, and thus textually ambiguous.
  billy> Thus,

  billy> define square x :- x*x;

  billy> is of ambiguous type, and the compiler will refuse to accept
  billy> it (is it float or int?).  The solution is simple: the
  billy> programmer provides a type annotation at any point in the
  billy> program where it helps.  For example, this:

  billy> define square:(int->int) x :- x*x; define square x:int :-
  billy> x*x; define square x :- x*x:int; define square x :-
  billy> (x*x):int;

  billy> (I think caml may have the same characteristics, by the way.
  billy> I don't know, having never used caml.)

  billy> Of course, the oddity here is the result of what I would
  billy> consider a design mistake -- overloading is a strange action
  billy> in a type-inferenced language, doubly so when you realise
  billy> that in spite of the overloading you still have to specify
  billy> which version of the function you're going to use.

Overloading is a UI concept. Therefore I think it's bad to put that in
a language. Because I think it's evil to put UI stuff in a
language. (but you probably know tha now :-)

  billy> Perhaps a language without overloading would not require
  billy> typechecking.

I can even imagine that ML could accept "define square x :- x*x;" and
define as many overloaded function as possible.

  billy> I don't understand why you're suggesting it.

  >> I think that separation of concerns is a very good principle.

  billy> Drinking water is a good principle, too.  But that doesn't
  billy> mean I do it instead of designing a language.

I think that separation of concerns is a very good principle in
designing computer systems, and that includes computer languages.

  >> Proving that some code has some properties should not be mixed
  >> with interpreting that code.

  billy> But nobody's proving anything about the code -- these type
  billy> annotations are used to help the programmer write to the
  billy> interface, and allow the compiler to do typechecking.

Isn't typechecking proving that no type errors will occur if you run
the program ?

  billy> I don't feel good about splitting these things, but would an
  billy> acceptable compromise be a C-style header file?  You lose a
  billy> LOT of power that way (since you can't place the annotations
  billy> anywhere in the source),

What's so powerful about that ?

Anyway, if you have somewhere :

        (defun f (x) (* x x))

and somewhere else

        (deftype f (int int))

It's very easy for a GUI to gather the 2 thing and display

        int f(int x) = x * x ;

The fact that the annotation refers to f places it next to f. It's up
to the UI to display this in a convenient manner.

--
Laurent Martelli
martelli@iie.cnam.fr