Slate for Tunes HLL? (was: Lambda (was: RefactoringinTunes))

Massimo Dentico m.dentico@teseo.it
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:25:35 +0100

"Brian T. Rice" wrote:

> I have been trying to fit arrow *into* a VM. This is what I was working on
> up until a month ago. I have since then discovered how to relate the arrow
> ideas to the principles of co-induction, which are drastically different
> from the principles behind formal languages (which include VMs, programming
> languages, and the like). This kind of information will have to drastically
> restructure the paper, but it will be worth it.
>
> For a reasonably well-written overview of how co-inductive principles
> relate to computing, see http://www.cs.brown.edu/people/pw/papers/bcj1.pdf
>
> As for your six assumptions, I therefore disagree firmly with #3. That is,
> "a VM/L specifically suited to describe the arrow system itself (or the key
> ideas)" does not exist. This is not to say that formal theory as a
> formalism itself can't be shifted to a co-inductive base; it certainly can,
> and this would allow the kinds of things that arrow wants to do. However,
> it also winds up breaking the formal language model from the start.

Thanks for the replay. *Now* it's enough clear, for me, the evolution
of your ideas: you have riched a "condition" (if not a proof) of non
existence. However, the paper is the same that I have cited some time
ago on this mailing-list.

> Hopefully for the last time in this thread,
>         Brian

It's difficult to end a thread when in a post scrittum you ignore,
misunderstand or distort what I have written (as I have often admitted,
in a horrible english); but I agree with you, it's time to stop here
this discussion.

However, I confirm my interest in your work on arrow system
and now Slate, even if I disagree with some implementation choices.

--
Massimo Dentico