Joy, Lambdas, Combinators, Procedures

iepos@tunes.org iepos@tunes.org
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:15:54 -0800 (PST)

> > > I'm unclear on the concept of "the number itself."  Are you
> > > implying that each number has some kind of platonic existance?
>
> > By "the number three itself" I mean the number three in the ordinary
> > sense of arithmetic. I'm not saying it has "platonic existence".
> > (I admit that the concept of the "number three" is a bit vague,
> > but still I think you know what I mean by "three").
>
> I *think* I do, but what I know about the number three would indicate that
> Joy supports it fully.  I'm trying to figure out why you say it doesn't.
>
> > > What would happen if a language decided to represent a number?
>
> > I'm not sure what you mean.
> > Languages like C and Scheme (and English for that matter) can
> > represent numbers, using the symbol "3".
>
> Exactly.  Yet Joy uses the same symbol, and you say it doesn't support the
> number.  I'm curious to know why that is.

Well.. The meaning Joy associates with "3" is slightly different
from the ordinary English meaning of "three". Anyway, I was
probably being a bit silly in suggesting that this is a serious
problem with Joy. That the meaning differs may make it a little harder
to read and write programs, but this is probably a matter of
taste.

Anyway, I find Joy to be quite an interesting system. But,
I don't know that its approach of using composition and quotation
is fundamentally superior to a purely applicative approach.

Anyhow, I am much more familiar with applicative style,
and will probably continue to use it in making my toy system.