Proposals

Lynn H. Maxson lmaxson@pacbell.net
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:45:34 -0700 (PDT)

Joseph Bowers wrote:"Perhaps a good way for Lynn to
illustrate the ideas brought up would be to build a
small prototype/demonstration system, or at least a
concrete specification/set of design documents, and
show them to the list. This might clear up many
points of confusion/dispute..."

If you exclude AI systems, I have only two
languages, Trilogy and Prolog.  Trilogy is
effectively defunct while Prolog (PDC) is available
for download.  The text which I use for reference
purposes is "Simply Logical: Intelligent Reasoning
by Example" by Peter Flach.

The declarative issue (as I understand it) lies
with the need for a user to "explicity" declare the
attributes of a variable used in an expression or
simply allow its use in the context of an
expression to act as an "implicit" declaration of
those attributes.  It's no big deal with me in PL/I
as it supports both.  As it does so I do not
understand why we should make an arbitrary choice
when no choice is necessary.

I'm willing to drop code generation issues, as (1)
solutions obviously exist, and (2) it only occurs
after all other (logical) issues have been
resolved.  As the Tunes HLL (and the other broad
areas within the Tunes project) has yet to resolve
the logical issues, I say do that first and then
the other.<g>

The principle of logical equivalence is embedded
within formal logic itself.