Emergence of behavior through software

btanksley@hifn.com btanksley@hifn.com
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:04:34 -0700

From: Francois-Rene Rideau [mailto:fare@tunes.org]

>Dear Lynn,
>   I had moved this discussion to cybernethics@tunes.org, for a =
reason.

What was that reason?  I object to the move:

1. I don't believe cyber-ethics exists as a seperate study from ethics. =
won't discuss that on this list, though; that belongs on the other =
list.
:-)  Plus, I hate the prefix 'cyber'.
2. We're not discussing whether it's moral or right to form an AI; =
we're
discussing whether it's possible and reasonable.  After we decide =
whether
it's possible it will be reasonable (and vitally important) to discuss
whether it's ethical and moral: in other words, whether we 'should' do =
it.
3. We're not discussing an issue unrelated to Tunes; we're arguing =
about
something that you've just revealed to be the core of Tunes itself.  If =
we
can't make AI, then we can't realise your vision of Tunes.  I didn't =
know
this before, although I've have vague suspicions.

Please clarify, Fare'.  I don't understand why you're doing this.

>[ Fran=E7ois-Ren=E9 =D0VB Rideau | Reflection&Cybernethics |=20

-Billy