A book on equational rewriting

Pietro Braione schizophonicTHESPAMSHIELD@tiscalinet.it
Sun Apr 22 14:31:02 2001

As lately much work over Arrow concerns about
equational rewriting, I lately found a book that
seems interesting. It is titled "Solving higher order
equations: from logic to programming" (Christian
Prehofer, Birkhauser ed.), and puts
some theoretical foundations in equational reasoning
and term rewriting for higher order equations. The
purpose is that of introducing the benefits of higher
order programming in logic languages.
The book is compact, about 160 pages plus
bibliography, but it has not a reference implemen-
tation. Anyway, I knew about to this
book while surfing on the site of Curry
(http://www.informatik.uni-kiel.de/~curry/), a
functional-logic language which has many
implementation, notably a Curry2java one.
The book requires some background; there
is an introductory chapter covering typed
lambda calculus and substitution, but it is
very succint. I don't think that it will be a
problem for the most part of the people
reading this mailing list... but it still is for me,
so I am not able to express an opinion on
the book. On the Birkhauser site you can
find the TOC of the book.

Pietro

--
Remember to remove the spamshield from my
email address before replying to this message