New class of T machines...

Billy Tanksley btanksley@hifn.com
Wed May 2 11:38:02 2001

From: Alan Grimes [mailto:alangrimes@starpower.net]

>As much as I try to get beyond turing machines (preferring the lambda
>calc), I just had an idea regarding them:

The two aren't well related.  However, Abstract State Machines conceptually
provide something of a link between them.

>Not all turing machines are the same.
>You can build a turing machine to do any function, In many cases the
>resulting machine can do ONLY that function. But still there
>is a subset
>of those machines that are called *UNIVERSAL* turing machines.
>These are
>such that they behave as interpriters for any language of your choice
>using any grammar. This language in turn can be used to evaluate any
>function that can be expressed in them, including interpriters
>for other languages.

This is true.

>My idea is that there exists yet another subset of these universal
>turing machines that could be called "universal universal turing
>machines" that operate as follows:

This is trivially true: that subset is an improper subset.  All universal
turing machines are universal universal as well.

This is true by definition of the word 'universal'; if Turing and his
cohorts had not meant the word 'universal' they wouldn't have used it.

-Billy