More Arrow Progress (sorry, no code yet)

RE01 Rice Brian T. EM2 BRice@vinson.navy.mil
Tue Sep 18 17:07:01 2001

Hello all,
Well, I assume that those of you familiar with my current situation can also
imagine how current world events are not making my life any easier for
programming and research.

However, I do guarantee that a lot of good progress is happening. The
changes are being nicely factored for clarity so that it should be fairly
simple to generate some v0.2 documents for when I can release the code.
Everything about arrow frames, object graphs, and the SEXP evaluator that I
didn't release is being re-factored. The frames and object wrapper graphs
were just primitive arrangements for MOPs of various kinds, and the
frameworks for those have been stretched and re-thought much for the better,
especially as I toy with evaluation models and see where things break
conceptually.

Incidentally, I finally re-named the ambiguous-sounding "meta graph" concept
to "inclusion graph" or inclusion representation, so that meta can just be
an informal term. This was really confusing for a lot of you and I apologize
that I didn't get the ideas of meta-level aspects worked out properly
sooner.

There are also a lot of fixes that I'd like to get out, for example a lot of
the basic libra-related operations and queries are now type-safe to a very
strong degree (of course Smalltalk reflective facilities can bypass this).
Unfortunately this won't come about for a little while; I'll see what I can
arrange to get it out soon.

Also a general strategy is starting to form that's bigger than just an
interactive evaluator. Maybe I'll be able to elaborate on that soon.

Is there any progress to report from Fare or Tril or for Bazar or even
Self/R? It'd be nice to hear from people on these things, including the web
site.

Thanks,
~