Cool project!!

RE01 Rice Brian T. EM2 BRice@vinson.navy.mil
Sun Sep 30 05:59:02 2001

Welcome.

> Hi,
>
> I have been browsing through your website and I just wanted to say that
> you have a lot of cool stuff in there. I am interested in joining your
> project. I know a little scheme and am currently learning common lisp
> and the oskit. I am thinking of developing an os development enviroment
> using lisp, oskit, and possibly a pc emulator. Is anyone working on
> something similar or something like this exist?? Would this be of use to
> you??
>
> I look forward to having fun with you guys.
>
> Sincerly,
> Chris Moline

There *was* a LispOS project which is now defunct, if I remember right. I
and one or two others on this list personally own Lisp machines which have
the native Genera operating system entirely written in (two separate
dialects of) Lisp, and these systems contain a lot of lessons to learn from;
however the licensing options are very restrictive.

The Vapour OS project uses Scheme, and have some decent progress, but the
last time I contacted the author he was busy with some other projects. You
could probably benefit most from talking to him.

There is also the Squeak project which includes a Smalltalk VM that
generates C-code from its self-hosted VM simulator, in order to make,
extend, and port its VMs. The SqueakOS and SqueakNOS projects are attempting
to combine this with OSKit in separate ways. I forget the details, but you
can get to the projects from Squeak.org. I believe that one of the projects
is at SourceForge and the other is on one of the Squeak-based web sites
around (swiki.net?).

I don't really have web access at the moment, so you'll have to find some of
these yourself. Of course I always can recommend Google'ing these things. :)

Hope this helps,
~