Would Tunes be interested in this Object manager...?

mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Apr 19 12:33:01 2002

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 07:50:39PM +0200, Marcus Petersson wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:
>
> > I highly recommend that you familiarize yourself with the object systems
> > and ideas of as many languages as possible, and perhaps you will begin
> > to realize why what you are proposing is amusing to us.
>
> Maybe (though that could take a million years if interpreted literally).
> I certainly don't see why it would be amusing to you. Have Tunes produced
> some object system that I'm unaware of? Please provide a link if so.

The aim would be to diversify your views.

> > And perhaps you should think more on why Fare recommended you not use
> > C as a prototype language.  Perhaps after learning about the expressivity
> > of the numerous unhandicapped languages out there, you will understand
>
> Hmm, where to begin? Apart from C and C++ I have used some ADA, Forth, Java
> ML, Python, Rebol, Simula, and probably some other stuff I forgot. And a
> little E-Lisp to do some Emacs modes. None of those will do.
>
> > this better: C is not used out of its inherent qualities but rather as
> > the historical burden that has been placed on us by Unix and its ilk.
>
> Of course, but who am I to battle the results of history? Would you

Who are you?  Only you can answer that.  But think: if we didn't battle
the results of history, where would we be today?

> propose that I should rather choose some other langauge that compiles
> down to C, or directly to binary?
>
> Hmm, perhaps some Lisp variant (CL?) would be fine. E-Lisp taught me that
> I might learn to actually like Lisp, except for some of the syntax. What's
> the best (and most Tunes-ish) variant of Lisp you know of? Which has the
> best support for many platforms, and produces fast code (comparable to C)?

I'm a fan of Common Lisp so I'll throw in a few words about it:
It is a very dynamic and interactive environment, it has great support
for extending the language, lots of mechanisms for abstraction (including
syntactic), and a number of good compilers which can output very efficient
machine code.

You should take a look at CLOS and the Meta-object protocol while you're at
it.

(And remember that CL and ELisp are very different from each other, so
don't confuse them)

http://www.lisp.org/

--
; Matthew Danish <mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu>