Would Tunes be interested in this Object manager...?

Arturo Borquez artboreb@netscape.net
Fri Apr 26 11:29:02 2002

Francois-Rene Rideau <fare@tunes.org> wrote:

Hello Fare,

Sorry but I don't agree that C is very slow. To be fair it depends
strongly on implementation. I agree that C is a disease that should NOT
be used by human beings. I have wrote a port to OCaml of a toy Forth like
language compiler wich maps to C and my bencmarks are very close pure
optimal C code, it is 1.8 times faster than OCaml and 5 to 20 times less
the executable size (depending on complexity). Many embedded aplications
require small memory footprint and HUMAN DECENT development tools.

BTW: I am willing to redesign it because as it was a brute force port I've
got short on data definitions (not recursive) and my question (as I am
not an expert nor a researcher) were I can learn about bytecode generation
, bytecode engines, intermediate code specs for compiler backends.

Some features of my compiler:
Simple to human as posible syntax (no buzzwords) in my opinion.
Operator name overloading (if you do not like those provided)
Benefits of concatinative model (function composition, ...)
Strict type checking, all output code is inlined (excepting threads)
Boolean, chars, ints, floats, labeled records and it respectives arrays.
Labeled store and recall (from/to top of stack) save and restore stack ...
Templates of code wich can by cloned to a named context. Which are very
handy to implement complex objects an 'methods'.
No physical stack at run time, built-in threads and FFI support.
'Pretty' (the best I could do) printed C output (to debug uggg??)
Lacks exception handling, continuations and recursion (to do).
A prototype of a WEB server with fixed workers threads and incoming
enqueueing conections machinery in 83 lines of code (24KB executable).
THE RATE OF ERRORS IS 1% OF HUMAN C CODING, AND CODE 10-20 TIMES SHORTER.

>> Would you propose that I should rather choose some other langauge
>> that compiles down to C, or directly to binary?
>Languages don't compile. Compilers do.
>
>> Which has the
>> best support for many platforms, and produces fast code (comparable to C)?
>C is not fast. It is very slow except in a few cases, and even in those
>few exceptional cases, it is not that fast, and slower than assembly.

Best Regards.
--
Arturo Borquez