low-level approach

Francois-Rene Rideau Francois-Rene Rideau <fare@tunes.org>
Wed Jan 9 05:15:01 2002

Dear Tunesers,

as far as low-level approaches to system development go, our own
Tom Novelli <tcn@tunes.org> makes slow but sure progress with retro.
	http://retro.tunes.org/

Another promising approach is Rick Hohensee <rickh@capaccess.org>'s
"compembler" osimplay. It's kind of the essence of FORTH metaprogramming,
but without FORTH as either the source or target language. Instead, the
target language is raw binary (and then 386 assembly, thanks to some layer
of metaprogramming), and the source language is bash 2 (which makes the
whole thing at the same time slow, ugly and unwieldy). I think this verily
makes the proof of concept conclusive. The official site is
	ftp://linux01.gwdg.de/pub/cLIeNUX/interim/osimplay.tgz
But since the file lacks read permission at this time, I put a copy on
	ftp://ftp.tunes.org/pub/tunes/utilities/osimplay.tgz
I always wanted something like that in a high-level language for the heart
of TUNES. Will someone step forward and freely adapt osimplay to a decent
metalanguage, like Common Lisp, OCaml, or MzScheme?

Yours freely,

The secret of survival is: Always expect the unexpected. -- Dr. Who