TUNES

Brian P Templeton bpt@tunes.org
Sun Jan 13 18:04:06 2002

Bj=F6rnke von Gierke <bvg@mac.com> writes:

> Much snipping happening in this mail:
>=20
>>> Why cant i just hit reply to answer a mail to the mailing list, is
>>> it my
>>> app or the  server?
>> As with many mailing-lists, you have to use "Group Reply" to reply
>> to everyone rather than just the originator of the mail.
> My app only has a "Reply to all Sender" function. It adds "Bcc:
> Tunes@tunes.org" to the mail header, so the originator of the mail
> will get the mail personally, AND over the Group. Very annoying...
>=20
Then he or she should include a `Mail-Copies-To: never' header in
their message (if I remember the header name right). If your MUA
ignores that, then it's broken, and you should switch to a more
standards compliant mailer, such as Gnus ;). It's not as if I were
biased or anything like that ;).

>>> Me thinks it's much too clumsy arranged and unintuitiv presented, maybe
>>> for compatibility with CLI-Browsers?
>> Compatibility with CLI-Browsers is a requirement, although if you're
>> willing to write a system that adds features for other browsers without
>> sacrificing compatibility *snip*
> Well, thats quiet simple with an intro-page, which has a link for
> text-only content (as is) and more detailed (same content framed or
> within a table). One could also Use javascript to redirect every
> browser to a more detailed Page. As text-only-browsers do not support
> javascript, they keep on the first page anyway, and can proceed from
> there manually.
>=20
Why not use Apache to redirect the viewer to the appropriate page?
OTOH, the more I consider WWW page design, the more I think that, with
a few modifications, it is easy to make well-designed pages that are
compatible with text-based browsers (NOT CLI-browsers! I've seen
exactly one real CLI browser; the other text-based browsers use GUIs).

>>> Faq is too detailed, shoud only give simple clue about what Tunes is.
>> On the other hand, I don't know how to do without details, or else,
>> the answers might betray the issue and confuse the reader.
>> Maybe have a short answer in larger size and a longer answer in
>> small size, for every question?
> A FAQ should only give simple clue about the FAQ-ed term, IMHO.
> As a reader, I would expect the FAQ to contain short info on where the
> project came from, what it is, short roadmaps, targets and methods
> (etc.). All very short but with links to the adequate information in
> the documentation. I.E. the targets part of the FAQ could explain the
> general target, the quintessence but also contain links to the
> examples, the HLL-project or/and the "Why a new OS?" article...
>=20
>>> Is there already a deccission made what userinterface the first version
>>> will use? (I mean that 'run on top of other os' -thingie) Is It CLI,
>>> GUI?
>> To begin with, we'd just have a listener, that takes strings as
>> input, *snip*
> Listener? well ok it crunches strings... does it understand sentences?
> Or do you mean string as in "long" ? There may be some detailed info
> about that some where on that tunes-page-thing...
>=20
> *snip*
>>> Wouldn't it be funny if the logo would be a picture with a tag on it:
>>> "This is not a Logo"
>> Could be nice. But not before there's code.
> Before code comes info, which then can be coded so that the machine
> understands it... but what info? I really have to dig trough that
> homepage, it MUST be hidden somewhere, as the truth lies in there... ;)
>=20
> uninformed
> Bj=F6rnke
>=20
> PS:
> "short" sentences for the OSdev page:
> We don't want to make a new OS, we develop a new computing philosophy.
> It has to do with <cool buzzwords>  selfscripting code, relational
> filesystems, metatranslation of static programming languages, cool
> acronyms like "Tunes" or "HLL" and much more!</cool buzzwords> We even
> regret the idea of a logo, so come over and dig into our project!
>=20

--=20
BPT <bpt@tunes.org>	    		/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
backronym for Linux:			\ / No HTML or RTF in mail
	Linux Is Not Unix			 X  No MS-Word in mail
Meme plague ;)   --------->		/ \ Respect Open Standards